AT&T bets on mobile video in a deal with social media influencers
- AT&T has partnered with Fullscreen, the social influencer network, to create Hello Lab, which will be a year-long project that allows 10 influencers to create content including videos, podcasts, concerts, meetups and giveaways.
- The mobile element is emphasized by the influencers creating their content via smartphones.
- This content marketing campaign isn’t designed to directly promote AT&T, but instead is a way for AT&T to create brand awareness around a younger demographic.
According to Ad Age, AT&T has an interest in Fullscreen via Otter Media, a joint venture between the telecom and the Chernin Group, which bought a majority stake in Fullscreen in 2014.
“Today’s influencer-brand relationships are too transactional in nature,” Valerie Vargas, vp of advertising and marketing communications at AT&T, told Digiday. “Too often, [influencers act as] hired guns asked by brands to promote a new product. We want to flip that on its head by making a long-term commitment to the community.”
Influencer marketing is on the rise according to eMarketer. Its latest report, “Influencer Marketing for US Brands,” found marketing and communications professionals worldwide are taking advantage of influencer marketing with around two-thirds (67%) of respondents reporting using influencers for content promotion and well over half (59%) reporting using influencer marketing tactics for product launches and content creation.
"This digital generation's creativity, empowered by wireless networks and smartphones, is changing the way we create and consume entertainment for the better," David Christopher, CMO of AT&T Mobility, said in a statement.
- Ad Age AT&T Taps Fullscreen Influencers for Year-Long Mobile Video Campaign
- Digiday Coming soon: Shows from top social media stars, with a plug for AT&T
- Marketing Dive Influencer marketing is growing in importance: eMarketer study
- PR Newswire AT&T Launches Unprecedented Year-Long Program With Ten Influencers To Create Entertainment Series, Podcasts, Meet-Ups And Exclusive Experiences