Mobile email accounted for 76% of opens on Black Friday: Study
- According to research from Movable Ink, mobile email delivered big with open rates of 76% on Black Friday and 63% on Cyber Monday.
- Email conversions-to-sale on mobile devices also surpassed desktop with 57% of Black Friday conversions happening on mobile.
- Talking about the mobile channel as a whole, Retail Dive reports that mobile accounted for 34% of online sales on Black Friday, and 57% on Thanksgiving, citing Adobe research.
Email is still a major marketing channel, contrary to the yearly claims that “email is dead.”
What has happened is audiences are interacting with email in new ways with mobile email becoming the preferred way for people to manage their email accounts. This trend is illustrated with research from Movable Ink that looked into email marketing over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping weekend that found a majority of all email opened over the weekend happened on mobile devices, and conversion-to-sale from those email on Black Friday occurred on mobile devices 57% of the time.
Conversions on Cyber Monday were more evenly split between mobile and desktop email. Cyber Monday this year also logged a record near $3 billion in e-commerce sales.
Movable Ink CEO Vivek Sharma told Marketing Land, “Mobile email opens and conversions during this Black Friday and Cyber Monday provide two valuable insights for marketers. First, many customers prefer opening email on their smartphone, no matter where they are. Second, when provided with the right experience, customers are increasingly willing to shop and buy on their mobile devices.”
Yesmail tracked email on Black Friday and also found a majority of clicks happened on a mobile device at 55%, an 18% increase over last year.
- Marketing Land Black Friday & Cyber Monday Email Marketing Results: Mobile Open Rates Exceed 60%
- Marketing Dive 3 'Cyber Week' takeaways for marketers
- Retail Dive 5 takeaways from this year's Black Friday