Rimmel London launches new brand identity with digital campaign
- Makeup brand Rimmel London is rolling out a new brand identity via a digital campaign using the hashtag #EdgeYourLook per a press release made available to Marketing Dive.
- The two main elements of the campaign are a social media influencer effort featuring brand ambassadors and a digital film. Both elements promote the brand’s new “visual signature,” a double-L created by the thumb and index finger of each hand that creates a face-framing pose.
- The influencer element of the campaign includes the Rimmel London “Influencer Squad” along with noted brand ambassadors like Georgia May Jagger and Kate Moss. The digital film was directed by Dexter Navy and features the influencer squad having fun in London and framing their faces with the double-L gesture.
The brand identity campaign from Rimmel London is interesting because it’s essentially a promotion for an easy to emulate physical gesture tailor-made for an audience that is already predisposed to take fashion-conscious shots meant to be shared on social media. The influencers and people in the digital film will all be displaying the double-L frame. By focusing on a physical gesture, the brand is supporting consumers' own creativity rather than asking them to recreate a specific makeup look, something that is typically seen in social campaigns from cosmetics brands.
“Millennials and members of Generation Z are reinventing beauty standards and have the confidence to create their own distinctive looks. They also want to co-create and be part of the story. Everyone can ‘Edge Their Look,’ and edginess is different for everyone — it can be whatever you want it to be, no matter who you are and where you are in the world. It’s a celebration of individuality, self-expression and diversity,” said Chandra Coleman, Vice President of Color Cosmetics and Mass Fragrances US, in the press release.
The focus on individuality reflects experience to date with the preferences of millennials and Gen Z, who are interested in engaging with brands when the message is authentic and reflects their interests.
- Marketing Dive How E.L.F. Cosmetics builds community and drives results with micro-influencers
- Marketing Dive Study: Digital ads are least preferred by Gen Z
- Mobile Marketer Study: Gen Z frequents Snapchat more than its social media rivals