Lack of technology keeping marketers from personalizing content: eMarketer
- EMarketer reports that recent research from Demand Metric and Seismic on personalizing marketing content has found 59% of U.S. marketers don’t personalize content because they don’t have the technology to automate the process.
- The same 59% reported a lack of bandwidth and/or resources, followed by 53% reportedly citing they lacked the necessary data for personalization.
- Meanwhile, separate research from the CMO Council from last summer found that personalized content was proving effective, with 56% of surveyed marketers worldwide reporting higher response and engagement rates, and 47% reporting more timely and relevant interactions.
Steven Callahan, vp of experience strategy and design at nFusion, recently told Marketing Dive that influencer marketing is an effective tactic for including native advertising and trigger-based content personalization.
Another tactic that can drive personalization by offering marketers more information about potential customers is surveys. In fact, Dave Parro, partner and director of the marketing technology practice at Walker Sands, described surveys as useful for gaining market insights. Parro told Marketing Dive that Walker Sands used surveys to better understand changing buyer journeys, including the how and why behind the shift, and then using that information for Walker Sands’ own strategies.
Separately, Aimia Group COO David Johnston told Marketing Dive in December, “To be successful, brands must use the information that their customers are sharing with them to give them something meaningful back – whether that’s a more personalized offer or a more relevant experience – or risk being cut off for good.”
What might be most telling from the Demand Metric and Seismic research, is even though marketers understand the value of personalized content, lack of an automated technology to handle that step in content marketing is holding a significant majority back from personalizing the content sent to their audience.
- eMarketer Why Marketers Don't Personalize Content
- Marketing Dive How influencer tactics can bring personalization to content marketing
- Marketing Dive Could surveys be the key to better personalization?