Dunkin' makes name change official with new packaging, social vignettes
- This month, Dunkin' Donuts is unveiling a new look and packaging as part of its previously announced brand transformation to Dunkin', according to a press release.
- Fans can follow Dunkin's social media channels during January for special content that celebrates the new look, including vignettes showing how people could make their first-name basis relationship with Dunkin' official by knitting a Dunkin' sweater, getting a Dunkin' hairdo or creating a special handshake.
- Along with the new branding, created with agencies Jones Knowles Ritchie, BBDO New York and Arc Worldwide, Dunkin' is unveiling new menu items, including a Power Breakfast Sandwich and Energy Cold Brew, and bringing back popular items from last year, the Brown Sugar Chipotle Bacon Breakfast Sandwich and the Caramel Chocoholic Donut.
Dunkin' is embracing the "new year, new you" spirit to round out the brand transformation that the company announced last fall. The new branding is part of an effort to reinvent itself as a beverage-focused, on-the-go brand to connect with younger consumers and compete with Starbucks. Dropping "donuts" from its name and getting on a first-name basis with fans could help Dunkin' better reflect how it has evolved to meet consumer demand. The new bright, bold packaging is also a nod to the brand's heritage.
Celebrating with humorous social media vignettes will help Dunkin' build awareness for its new branding and connect with younger consumers, who enjoy interacting with their favorite brands on digital platforms. Gen Zers are also more likely to visit fast food restaurants, and millennials are enthusiastic coffee drinkers.
Over the past few months, Dunkin' has been promoting its coffee offerings and image as a go-to spot for busy lifestyles, as a lead-up to the change. Dunkin' Donuts Coffee at Home, the company that sells products in grocery stores, hosted a pop-up tiny home that runs on used coffee grounds in New York City, along with an online 360-degree video tour of the home. For National Coffee Day in September, Dunkin' teamed up with Unilever-brand Dove Hair to offer fans the chance to win a year's supply of Dunkin' coffee and Dove Dry Shampoo, embracing the "running on coffee and dry shampoo" meme. The brands also hosted a Dove x Dunkin' Styling Café.
- Dunkin' / PR Newswire Officially Dunkin': New Look and New Menu Items Provide Energizing Start to 2019
- Marketing Dive Dunkin', Dove Dry Shampoo offer life hack for hectic consumers
- Marketing Dive Dunkin' drops 'Donuts' from its name in new branding