H&M teases fantasy-themed holiday short film starring Nicki Minaj
- H&M has a released a teaser for an upcoming holiday-themed short starring the musician and actress Nicki Minaj, along with Jesse Williams and John Turturro, per a press release. Directed by Johan Renck, the film follows a parallel fantasy world where a heroic little girl has to track down the evil brother of Santa Claus to save the season from his selfishness.
- Minaj plays the mother of the little girl and a fairy named the Wisest Thingy, Williams plays the father and the Fastest Fairy and Turturro portrays both Santa and his evil brother.
- Styles featured in the film will be available to purchase in H&M stores and on its website throughout the holiday campaign period, which began this week. The full version of the film goes live on hm.com on Nov. 28.
To help distinguish itself in a competitive fast fashion retail category, H&M is more often leaning into cinematic content marketing that features bonafide Hollywood talent both behind and in front of the camera. Late last month, the brand released a lavish four-minute short directed by Baz Luhrmann, of "Moulin Rouge!" and "Romeo + Juliet" fame, to promote its collaboration with the high fashion house Erdem.
H&M appears to be taking a similar tack for its holiday marketing, turning the star wattage up another level through the on-screen presence of Minaj, Williams and Turturro. The holidays are an essential sales period for retailers, demanding attention-grabbing campaigns that fit into the sentiment of the season. Those in the industry with big brick-and-mortar businesses have been battered in recent years but the rise in prominence of e-commerce sites, putting extra pressure on marketers to devise strategies that drive awareness and sales.
H&M has struggled to show strong financial results in recent quarters with its third-quarter net profit falling 20% in September, according to CNN. The brand has a lot of popularity on social media, however, with a recent analysis by ShareIQ finding it, along with rivals Forever 21 and Topman, leads its pack in consumer engagement by a wide margin. It's likely hoping that performance can extend to a buzzy, star-studded marketing push for the holidays.
- PR Newswire Nicki Minaj Stars In H&M's Magical Holiday Film
- Retail Dive H&M ditches monthly sales reports, promises more transparency
- Marketing Dive Why content marketing is going Hollywood