Michelob Ultra Pure Gold uncaps ASMR for Super Bowl debut
- Michelob Ultra Pure Gold unveiled its first-ever Super Bowl spot, titled "The Pure Experience," starring actress Zoe Kravitz, according to a press release.
- In the 45-second commercial, which was created with agency FCB Chicago and is available on the brand's YouTube channel, Kravitz whispers the message using autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) to induce tingling sensations and encourage consumers to reconnect with nature while enjoying "beer in its organic form."
- The brand will also be available at Snackology 101, an organic concession station at the Super Bowl stadium in Atlanta on Feb. 3, selling organic beers and snacks.
Michelob Ultra Pure Gold is hoping to stand out during the Super Bowl ad frenzy with its calming commercial featuring Zoe Kravitz whispering messages. The campaign is likely targeting millennial drinkers, since the demographic is most interested in self-care trends, like the sensations that ASMR videos tend to induce, and are opting to incorporate mindfulness into their lifestyles. The age group is also driving the better-for-you booze trend and preference for lower-calorie, lower-alcohol drinks and interest in organic foods. Michelob Ultra Pure Gold is made with organic ingredients and is 85 calories.
Anheuser-Busch's Michelob Ultra launched the Pure Gold product last year with plans to market the brew to millennials leading active, healthy lifestyles, similar to the general Michelob Ultra audience. The brand hosted an outdoor workout experience in Los Angeles in September called "Power by the People," featuring workout stations equipped with sensors that monitored participants' workout intensity.
ASMR is a tactic that more brands are incorporating into their marketing creative in an effort to connect with digital-savvy consumers through unique campaigns and tap into the followings of the millions of ASMR videos on YouTube. Marketers have incorporated brand-specific sounds to elicit an emotional response and stay top of mind. The new Michelob Ultra Pure Gold ad, for example, features the sounds of a beer bottle uncapping and fizzy beer being poured into a glass. In other examples, Zippo incorporated the iconic click sound of its windproof lighter in recent ASMR content created with BuzzFeed. Applebee's last year debuted an hour-long video featuring the sounds of meat sizzling on a grill.
Beer brands are seeking unique and innovative ways to stand out and drive awareness, as total beer volume dropped 1.1% in 2017, the fifth consecutive year of decline in U.S. beer consumption, according to the Beverage Information Group. Light beer saw a 3.1% decline in volume, highlighting how these beverage brands are working to differentiate themselves from the wide variety of competitors with fresh products and creative marketing.
- Michelob Ultra / PR Newswire Michelob ULTRA Pure Gold Brings First-Ever ASMR-Style Spot To Super Bowl
- Marketing Dive Michelob Ultra hosts interactive workout experience to promote new fitness festival
- Food Dive Michelob Ultra goes organic with new Pure Gold brew