Dodge, Lego build online tie-up and limited-edition play sets
- Dodge and The Lego Group are partnering on a new campaign that includes a 30-second commercial, "Metamorphosis," which will run across Dodge's Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube channels, according to a news release.
- The spot, created with agency GSD&M, shows alternate shots of the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon on a racetrack and a Lego version with the tagline: "With Dodge, racers come in all sizes." It stars National Hot Rod Association drag racing champion Leah Pritchett.
- The collaboration also includes a new Lego Speed Champions building set featuring the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon and the 1970 Dodge Charger R/T. A limited number of the sets will be available for purchase at Dodge.com.
Dodge's partnership with Lego could help the automaker generate excitement around its 2018 lineup while paying homage to its classic 1970 model. The auto brand says teaming up with the iconic toy brand aims to connect with a new generation of fans and build loyalty with future car buyers. This is a strategic move, as millennials have been slow to embrace car ownership and Gen Zers are showing little interest in auto brands.
The limited-edition Lego building sets could help generate brand buzz because some rare LEGO sets are highly collectible and can be valuable. Offering the sets on its website will likely help Dodge boost its online traffic and gather valuable data on consumers showing interest in the brand. Limited-run branded merchandise is a tactic that more marketers are embracing to offer memorable experiences to fans, create an emotional connection and engage with them on digital platforms and in real life.
Dodge's latest tie-up follows another recent social media and merchandise-focused effort. The automaker unveiled a holiday-themed video series on digital and social channels YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram that parodies car-restoration TV shows with Santa's elves overhauling his sleigh with muscle car-inspired elements. The series stars professional wrestler Bill Goldberg and "All Girls Garage" host Cristy Lee, and Dodge's website featured holiday merchandise inspired by the series, including reindeer T-shirts and the same version of the sweater that Goldberg sports in the video spots.
- FCA US LLC / PR Newswire Dodge//SRT Brand and The LEGO Group Launch New LEGO® Speed Champions Building Set Featuring the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon as Part of New Multimedia Marketing Campaign
- Mobile Marketer Dodge revs up social series for Christmas
- Marketing Dive Gen Zers drop destination retail, auto brands from the conversation, study finds