Natural Light offers to pay down college debt in regional Super Bowl ad
- Anheuser-Busch beer brand Natural Light will run a 30-second commercial during the Super Bowl in 10 regional markets to promote a sweepstakes in which it's giving away a total of $1 million to current and former college students to help them pay off student loans, according to a company press release shared with Marketing Dive. The video has also been released on YouTube.
- The video, created by Vice Media-owned creative agency Virtue, shows a gaggle of college students using a homemade slip-and-slide down a dorm hallway. "New Girl" actor Jake Johnson is the campaign's spokesperson.
- To enter the contest, consumers must post a video on social media describing their "inspiration for going to college" with the hashtags #NattyStories and #Contest and include a shot of a new green pull-tab from cans of limited-edition Natural Light. Twenty-five winners will receive $40,000 each to help pay down their debt.
Tapping into the common experience of paying off student loans, as debt plagues many consumers, the campaign seems like a smart play by Natural Light to drum up some incentive for users to create and share videos on social media. According to the Federal Reserve, 44.2 million Americans have student loan debt, totaling nearly $1.5 trillion.
In the campaign, the beer brand aims to reach college drinkers 21 and older in 10 markets that have a high population of students and recent graduates, a key target audience for the brand. The locations include Madison, Wisconsin; Kansas City, Missouri; Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, according to Advertising Age. The video brings home the brand's message that debt shouldn't overshadow memorable, if not rowdy, college stories.
Super Bowl commercials often generate as much enthusiasm as the game itself. Giving viewers a glimpse of the campaign ahead of the game on YouTube could pique their interest and encourage them to engage on social media, further boosting brand buzz. With the Super Bowl reeling in about 111 million sets of eyes, marketers want to ensure they're maximizing the appeal and reach of a campaign.
M&M's candy is running a similar social media sweepstakes as part of its Super Bowl push. The Mars Wrigley Confectionery brand asks viewers to record their best touchdown dance while holding M&M's and share the video on social media with hashtag #MMSuperBowlLIIDanceContest to win a Super Bowl party pack of candy and game day goodies.
- Advertising Age Natty Light's regional Super Bowl ad plugs student debt payoff contest
- Mobile Marketer M&M's debuts touchdown dance contest for Super Bowl
Follow Natalie Koltun on Twitter