Starbucks attends community celebrations to give away $1M in gift cards
- Starbucks’ “Project Give Good” holiday campaign launched yesterday, a program that includes “give good” squads giving away $1 million in gift cards in $20 Starbucks Cards increments at community celebrations across the U.S. through December. Additionally, the chain will grant instant Starbucks Rewards Gold status to customers who make a purchase using the mobile app or a registered Starbucks card and is rolling out the fourth annual Starbucks for Life Sweepstakes per a press release.
- The giveaway of 50,000 $20 gift cards will happen at events like tree lighting ceremonies and local caroling events and people can share ideas of community events for the “Give Good” squad to visit with baristas from Dec. 4-8. The giveaways will happen from Dec. 11-23 and the campaign using the #GiveGood hashtag on social media.
- The Starbucks for Life Sweepstakes begins today with a wide range of prizes from food, beverages and merchandise up to the grand prize of winning Starbucks for life. A new addition to the contest for this year is customers who aren’t members of the rewards program can enter their email for a chance at one contest prize.
Starbucks is looking to get up close and personal with consumers this holiday season. The gift card giveaway is interesting because it is essentially an ongoing out-of-home (OOH) activation with at least some of the locations chosen by the Starbucks customers in the communities receiving the $20 cards. The effort also looks to strengthen relationships between baristas and customers as consumers increasingly tune out traditional advertising.
OOH efforts have been notably popular this year as marketers look for ways to engage consumers with relevant, value-add messaging as they go about their days. While some brands are opting to make digital a key aspect of OOH programs, the Starbucks campaign reflects a focus on the high-touch aspect of in-person events to make an impact, something a number of brands have tried this year. In the Starbucks case, the chain will be sending its brand representatives out wearing red and green aprons giving away holiday cheer in the form of $20 worth of Starbucks products.
Involving its baristas in the promotion looks like an attempt to ensure the promotion's feel-good results extend beyond the holiday season by deepening relationships between employees and local customers.
Starbucks is known for its holiday marketing, including its anticipated holiday cup design which this year features plenty of white space and outlines of seasonal items so people can color in their cups themselves. The #GiveGood campaign combines a reprise effort in the Starbucks for Life contest along with a couple of feel good efforts in giving away $1 million in gift cards as well as making it relatively easy for customers to get Gold status in the rewards program.
- Business Wire Starbucks Launches “Project Give Good”
- Marketing Dive DoubleTree took its signature warm cookies on tour — and drove nearly 400K social impressions
- Marketing Dive Pringles brings pop-up 'Stack Shack' to NYC